Thursday, August 14, 2014

Birch Tree Forest Wall Art

DIY Birch Tree Wall! 


This was such a fun DIY! Having had all the materials from previous projects, 
this whole project was FREE! Doesn't get better than that. 

Materials:
1.) White Paint/Primer 
2.) 2 Paintbrushes (1 Medium, 1 Small)
3.) Blue Painters Tape 
4.) Step Stool, or Ladder if you're short like me.
5.) Pencil 

 Now get excited everyone, because I only have 5 Steps for you!
 I wont lie to you, this takes awhile, but it is well worth it!  

Step 1: Sketch! Never go into a project like this blind. Its always best to get your perspective right on paper first before you begin.  

                  (My First Tape Attempt)                   (Final Tape Design)

Step 2: Tape! This is the hardest part of the entire thing! Make sure you step back and look at your work as you go. I moved trees around for a full day before I was happy with a design. If you are planning on putting furniture in front of your wall, I suggest marking their locations so you can plan your trees around them. 

Step 3: Paint! Find a reference and go nuts! I attempted to draw a design on the first tree, but found it was much harder to cover or remove lines once I started painting. I just went for it! Let me first tell you that I have my Bachelors in Illustration so I'm obligated to be good at this stuff, but please don't try this if you aren't feeling confident. Draw light designs and everything will be just fine. I also starting pulling away tape early to get a better feel for the width of the trees, but thats up to you.


                  

Step 4: Clean up! Remove the the blue tape, ( if you haven't removed it already) and use your small brush to touch up blurred lines. If you over lapped your trees, you'll also have to connect limbs where tape ran between them. This takes time and patience, so clear a couple hours and crank some music. 

Tadaa! 4 Steps and a few days! This just made my room so cozy and whimsical. I just love looking for faces in the trees, and their glow from the TV at night. I used paint swatch samples to make banners of lights and flags to decorate the wall and plan on adding an owl off a branch. This project is great for any room and any age. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment